Bullied teenager kept tragic diary in months before taking her own life aged just 14


A tragic teenager had written about her wish to take her own life before she stepped in front of a train at just 14, an inquest was told.

Uma Gupta, 14, had earlier left a party at a friend’s house after becoming upset and saying she wanted ‘kill herself’.

She had told friends her mum was going to pick her up, but instead she walked to at East Didsbury railway station where she was hit by a train heading towards Manchester Piccadilly at about 10pm on March 2, 2019, reports the Manchester Evening News.

The inquest at Manchester coroners court heard Uma, a pupil at Parrs Wood High in Didsbury, was being bullied at school and kept a secret diary, which was only discovered after her death.

In the months before she died she made numerous entries expressing her unhappiness and desire to take her own life.

One entry, from October 10 2018, read: “Don’t be upset. I wasn’t happy and things weren’t going to change.

“Just imagine I was never here.

“I love my family and friends. I planned this for ages.”

In a statement Uma’s parents said: “Uma was always the life and soul of the party and didn’t struggle to make friends.

“She loved life and will be missed by everyone. She lit up a room whenever she walked in. The family home is not the same since she died. It’s very quiet.”

As she left left home on the night she died Uma’s parents told her ‘how beautiful she looked’.

“She seemed happy”, they said.

But at the party witnesses say Uma’s mood changed.

She began sobbing in the kitchen and bathroom saying ‘I don’t want to be here, I want to kill myself’.

The inquest heard Uma, of Didsbury, was upset by the September 2018 suicide of a distant relative.

In the months after his death she researched suicide methods online.

in November 2018 Uma’s family began to notice a change in her mood, saying she was often ‘low and withdrawn’.

On December 21, that year, following a party at a friend’s house, she was taken to Manchester Children’s Hospital by police after being found in the street banging her head against the floor, saying she ‘wanted to die’.

Uma, a member of Parrs Wood Harmony Choir, which performed onstage with Ariana Grande at the One Love concert following the Manchester Arena terror attack, was assessed by a psychiatrist in hospital, who found she wasn’t at risk of suicide, and referred her to mental health services and social services.

During the psychiatric assessment she revealed she was being bullied at school by a girl who had ‘threatened to stab her’.

Paul Heron, head of learning at Parrs Wood, said the school had been aware of the bullying and had taken several steps to tackle it, included the exclusion of the bully.

He said there had been no reports of any other incidents after mid-January 2019.

He added: “Nothing was reported. It didn’t seem like anything was wrong.”

Parrs Wood headteacher Mark McElwee described Uma’s death as ‘very upsetting for the whole school community’.

He said a number of new measures had been introduced in school following her death.

They included a confidential bullying reporting line, the introduction of ‘mental health champions’, staff trained as mental health first aiders and the introduction of an ‘ask twice’ policy regarding pupils’ well-being.

Senior coroner Nigel Meadows recorded a conclusion of suicide.

He said: “The reasons why any person wishes to harm themselves are many and complex.

“Some of them may never be understood. Many people never leave a note or message – there is simply no explanation as to their feelings.

“In respect of the issue which has been described as bullying there was a conflict in July 2018 and other contacts that Uma had with the young lady in question. There were allegations of bullying, I accept that is the case.

“But Uma’s diary is consistent and clear about her mental health.

“I am satisfied that Uma is the only person who caused herself to leave the platform in front of that the train.

“I am satisfied she deliberately did that and all the available evidence is that’s what she intended to do.”